Posted Wednesday, August 14th 2013 @ 12pm
Avenged Sevenfold is teaming up with online entertainment site Machinima to bring fans brand new original content in the form of a six-episode animated series that will tell the fictional story of the Death Bat, the band's longtime trademark and mascot. Directed by Metalocalypse producer Jon Schnepp, the series will air this fall on Machinima's HappyHour channel and will feature music from Avenged Sevenfold's new album, Hail To The King, which is set to arrive on August 27th.
Lead singer M. Shadows revealed that the series will go "hand-in-hand" with a new mobile Avenged Sevenfold game that the band has been developing for 18 months. He explained, "Without revealing too much, I will just say that it is an action-adventure game. It has been written and developed by the band and with our friends in Subscience Studios. It's turning out awesome. We can't wait to show you more when it's ready . . . The game and the series will go hand in hand with each other. We hope you enjoy them both, because I know we have had a great time developing them."
- Hail To The King is Avenged Sevenfold's follow-up to 2010's chart-topping Nightmare and the first album by the band to feature no musical contributions from late drummer Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan.
- Sullivan, who died in December 2009, did write some of the music that ended up on Nightmare. We asked Shadows if his presence was missed on the new disc: ["Obviously you totally miss like what he would have brought to the table. Like, I'm a hundred percent happy with these songs, but I know he would have had a couple of ideas of cool things to do. Also, he always brings three to four great songs. So on this process when you get to like song six or seven, you're like, 'Damn, I really wish we were at song 10, 'cause I'm really happy with these seven songs and Jimmy would have brought three in.' So that was the big thing, it was just that it took us a lot longer to get where we wanted to get."]
- Avenged Sevenfold has also continued its relationship with game publisher Activision by contributing a song to the final pack of downloadable content for the wildly successful game Call Of Duty: Black Ops II.
- The final content pack, called Apocalypse, will be available on the Xbox Live online entertainment network from Microsoft on August 27th and contains a new Avenged track called "Shepherd Of Fire."
- Avenged Sevenfold will be with Deftones and Ghost in San Antonio on 10/20 at the AT&T Center.